Monday, October 12, 2009

My Japanese Teacher

My current Japanese teacher is such a clown although she does speak words of wisdom in her humorous banter.  She told us about how her first husband was like 12 years younger than her and her second and current husband is 2 years younger than her because she likes them young since women outlive men so she told the girls to find themselves a young guy haha.  She told us that we are all young so we should go have fun and explore the world while we still can because once you get married and have kids then it's all over and that was what she did when she was younger.  She traveled the world and had her fun until she ran into her first husband and got married but of course in her mind she is forever 28 year old.  She told us when she was a kid about 10 year old, her father took her to the public bath and that was where she learned to swim...in the men's public bath.  She did pretty well because she was the #1 champion junior free style swimmer in Osaka until she quit swimming in junior high.  Apparently in college she was a cheerleader, but it is pretty hard to imagine your teacher being able to do stuff like that but then again Japanese people have always been crazy like that.

In other news, I went to the Akimatsuri awhile ago and it was a bit of a disappointment.  I expected it to be more of what a festival was in Japan because the Gion festival was pretty awesome.  This was just too much American because they were selling hamburgers, hotdogs, tacos, burritos, etc.  I expected more Japanese food like takoyaki, mochi, etc.  I mean they did have daifuku, udon, bento boxes, dango but I wanted more!  They didn't even have the goldfish scooping game but instead they had a game where you toss a ping pong ball into little fish bowls to win a goldfish.  I remember the goldfish I won at Gion, I left them in the toilet in my dorm room when I left to go home to America.  The security guard found them after I left and dumped them in the river.  I took some with me in a Coke can which freaked the customs guards in Osaka but they were like just keep it closed instead of confiscating it.  The fishes survived to San Fransisco but they were near dying so I just flushed them.  Anyways, I did play a somewhat fishing game and won the coolest prize in the world!  It's a cute little seal doll in a removable goldfish custom!


Coolest thing ever!

 
He's not complaining.

No comments: